A family dentist is the one who assesses, treats and diagnose, and most of all, prevents oral problems that emerge in each member of the family he/she handles. Family dentists are sometimes refer to as general dentists, both of them renders service related to maintaining oral hygiene and tooth health of their patients from different age groups. Though their functions are a bit the same, there is a slight distinction between family dentist and general dentist.
A family dentist is in charge of the family’s preventive dental care; this ensures that each of your family member’s smiles remains strong and healthy. He/she offers the following services: Teeth Cleaning, Tooth Extractions, Tooth Fillings, Basic Root Canal Treatment, Dental Sealants, Fluoride Treatments, Dental Crowns, Basic Wisdom Teeth Extraction, Teeth Whitening, Dental Bridges, Dentures, etc.
There are a lot of family dentist out there to choose from. It is your responsibility as a parent, to look for a family dentist that can provide the dental needs of your family. Here are some qualities of a family dentist that you might consider:
- He/she passed the National Board Dental Examinations (NBDE) and has his/her professional license. His/her license should be up to date in the country where he/she resides presently.
- He/she is a member of different professional dental associations
- He/she should be committed to continuing his/her and staffs education to become updated to the different advancements in the field of dentistry.
- He/she is effective in communicating to his/her patients
- He/she is confident in handling any dental cases
- He/she should be flexible when it comes to scheduling as most people get out of their jobs/schools at a certain time.
- He/she should be experienced in treating patients from different age groups.
- He/she should have the latest technology and advancements in his/her dental office.
- He/she should be able to perform most of the dental procedures
If you are looking for an excellent family dentist in maintaining your family’s oral health, you should consider the qualities mentioned above. This will not only help you feel at ease, but also it will be beneficial for you and your family.