Cosmetic dentistry is a broad term for any dental service performed for the primary purpose of enhancing the smile and appearance. Because of this, most dental insurance providers don’t provide coverage for these elective procedures. If you are considering a dental enhancement, it’s natural for you to wonder, “How Much is Cosmetic Dentistry?” While many factors go into determining the final cost, we’ll do our best to provide you with cost estimates for several popular cosmetic improvements.
Preparing Your Budget for an Elective Dental Procedure
Below are the current average costs for several cosmetic dentistry enhancements according to the Consumer Guide to Dentistry:
- Porcelain Veneers: For this process, Dr. Vanama affixes a thin ceramic shell to the front of a tooth to disguise minor issues such as discoloration, cracks, and gaps between teeth. The cost can range from $935 to $2,500 per tooth with the average life expectancy of porcelain veneers being 10 to 15 years.
- Invisalign Braces: These clear plastic aligners are an alternative to traditional metal braces. Although the cost can range between $5,000 and $7,500, most dental insurance carriers provide at least some benefit for orthodontic treatment.
- Teeth Whitening: The most popular cosmetic dentistry procedure brightens the shade of the teeth by as much as 10 times. The average in-office cost is $650 per session. Less expensive alternative are also available, such as using a professional teeth whitening kit at home or purchasing one from a drugstore. However, the last option rarely provides the desired results.
- Dental Implants: This is an attractive alternative to traditional dentures for many people because it replaces the tooth roots to keep the replacement teeth permanently in place. A single dental implant costs a minimum of $2,500, but the cost can go up considerably if you require a bone graft, sinus lift, tissue graft, or tooth extraction. The average nationwide cost to replace six or more teeth with dental implants is $35,000.
- Dental Bridges: This procedure replaces missing teeth by attaching supporting hardware to adjacent teeth that holds the new one in place. The typical cost is between $700 and $1,500 per tooth. Many dental insurance companies provide some coverage for dental bridges if they are medically necessary.
Discovery Dental Will Help You Plan Your Care
When you come in for a consultation with Dr. Vanama at Discovery Dental, she provides you with a written estimate for your cosmetic dentistry procedure. We recommend that you check with your insurance company first to see if it covers any portion of the dental enhancement you would like to have performed. We can also put you in touch with other resources, such as Care Credit, CITI, and Springstone. These are third-party financing companies for uncovered medical and dental expenses. If you have additional questions about paying for your dental care, please contact our office.